Dr. Quoc Lu is Recognized as
One of Northern Virginia’s Top Orthodontists
Born with a love of art, Dr. Quoc Lu enjoyed drawing through much of his childhood. Surrounded by computers, Dr. Lu also dove into the engineering and architecture design aspects of computer science. He believes that the study and practice of orthodontics involves both aesthetic design and empirical science in creating facial, skeletal, and dental harmony.
Dr. Quoc Lu was born in Vietnam but was raised in northern VA. After graduating summa cum laude from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology annually recognized among the top high schools in the country, he attended the University of Virginia where he pursued a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Computer Science. He worked for several years in the corporate consulting world at Accenture Consulting. Afterwards, Dr. Lu pursued his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree, summa cum laude, from the Medical College of Virginia. In addition to his dental degree, Dr. Lu also earned a Master of Science degree in Oral Biology and a degree in Orthodontics from the Medical College of Virginia. He has been a contributing author in multiple medical publications and has also had the privilege to present orthodontic topics in national and state orthodontic meetings as well as abroad in Italy.
While in dental school, he served as Class President, Secretary of the Student Government Executive Committee, and a National Leader with the American Student Dental Association. Dr. Lu also started a local student organization called SAME (Social Awareness and Multicultural Education), winner of the Best New Student Organization.
Dr. Quoc Lu has achieved multiple honors including induction into the prestigious Omicron Kappa Upsilon Society as well as the William S. Kramer Award of Excellence – an honor given to only one student in a dental class. Upon graduation, he received student awards from the American Association of Orthodontists, American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Department of Prosthodontics, and the International College of Dentists. He has also won the ASDA Award of Excellence, the Richmond Dental Study Club Scholarship, the AD Williams Research Fellowship, and the R. Ashton Gay and Henry F. Vaughn Memorial Scholarship.
FUN FACTS ABOUT DR. LU
– If I didn’t work in orthodontics I would: be a comic book artist or video game designer
– Favorite restaurant: Nando’s Peri Peri
– Last book I read: Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life
– Most visited website: ESPN
– Favorite musicians: OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, The Script, Radiohead
– Favorite sports team: Washington Redskins, Washington Wizards
– The person who inspires me is: My father, for a lifetime of sacrifice and love.
– Most people don’t know this: I’m afraid of clowns, mostly because of watching the move IT as a child.
– Favorite DC museum: Natural History Museum
– Something that makes me smile: An evening with friends and family